It is always hard to figure out what organizations to donate to every year. I focused on ocean-based organizations that I believe in; some are regional and some national and international. It is so important that we support organizations that rely on community support to survive and do well. These are some of my favorites, but there are so many more. I think it is important to do research and make sure that your money gets used for the most effective way to cause change. Some of these places love volunteers, so you don’t have to donate money but volunteer’s time makes some of these places run. So check them out.
- If you have a passion for marine mammals, this is a great organization to donate to. They focus on marine mammals, but the health of our oceans as a whole. Marine Conservation Institute is dedicated to securing permanent, strong protection for the oceans’ most important places – for us and future generations. They work with scientist, politicians, government officials, and other organizations to identify key threats and build towards workable solutions.
Here is a link to Donate: Marine Conservation Institue
- This a big organization that addresses a huge variety of environments and programs; from ocean acidification, sustainable fisheries, ocean climate, restore gulf Mexico, trash free seas, protecting the artic, and smart ocean planning. Together, they create science-based solutions for a healthy ocean and the wildlife and communities that depend on it. With the help of donors like you, Ocean Conservancy is developing innovative solutions to save our ocean.
Here is a link to Donate: Ocean Conservancy
- Oceana is another large organization that focuses all over the world. Oceana is dedicated to protecting and restoring the world’s oceans on a global scale. Oceana’s on-the-water expeditions have resulted in multiple campaign victories. These expeditions allow Oceana to photograph, film and research seamounts and other unique marine ecosystems and to bring them to life for policymakers and the public. This enables Oceana to win policy victories that protect these special places.
Here is a link to Donate: Oceana
San Fransisco Bay Area:
- If you love seals, this is an awesome place for you. They rescue seals! It is amazing, and so much fun. I volunteered my time there in college. At the Marine Mammal Center, they are guided and inspired by a shared vision of a healthy ocean for marine mammals and humans alike. Thier mission is to advance global ocean conservation through marine mammal rescue and rehabilitation, scientific research, and education.
Here is a link to Donate: Marine Mammal Insitute
- The California Academy of Sciences is based in San Francisco. They have an exhibit that explores the rainforest, swamps, the universe, the oceans, and evolution. Their main mission is to explore, explain and sustain. They have a wonderful research team that explores the work around us. One of the most important things is to explain, educate teachers and students on new research and about the environment around the world. The next step to advancing our world is sustaining our environment. Through research and education can start working towards preserving and protecting our earth. With your donation can help support Academy research and programs, including school field trips for 130,000+ students annually.
Here is a link to Donate: California Academy of Sciences
Happy changing the world and Happy Holidays.